19 September 2013

Kenya: my home, but still surprising


Almost two months ago I was in Mombasa with the Contribute Kenya team working with them on various community projects all located around Mombasa. The community work and life experience we made is still quite present in the back of my head even though I am in a completely new and different environment right now. I am currently doing my study abroad on Reunion which is an island in the Indian Ocean. On that account I must say the environment meaning the palms trees, beaches and Ocean isn’t such a different environment than Mombasa after all. This blog entry is not about my adventurous study abroad it is about my reflection on the time in Mombasa with the Contribute Kenya team and my view on this amazing life experience.

Unlike the rest of the contribute team, Kenya is very familiar to me because I was born and raised there. For that reason the environment and people around me weren’t that new to me. However, the whole community project aspect was something fairly new to me. Prior to this 6 week endeavour I had never been part of a community project even though such a project had been in my mind since I was 16 years old. The project that I worked on during my stay in Mombasa was about developing and implementing an accounting system for the Blue Bell Nursery School in Mtwapa, a town on the outskirts of Mombasa. If I reflect on the question about how successful we were in implementing the accounting system I can truthfully say that we managed to implement the system very well. The approach Robin and I took in implementing the system was to first understand the current accounting system and build a relationship with Grace and Gideon before introducing our ideas. During the course of the first weeks the relationship building went extremely well which made the corporation extremely pleasant. The product that we left behind in the end is one that I believe will make a difference for the school and simplify a lot of procedures regarding the book keeping.

Working and living together with 10 other honour Students also contributed greatly to the whole community project experience. Over the course of the 6 weeks I got to know a lot of my fellow students better and create lots of new friendships. In my opinion we started off as a group of 11 students each working on their project and later on transformed into a team all working together on the various projects and helping each other out. Simply experiencing this process has given me a new definition of what a really team looks like and a better understanding of group dynamics.

One last thing that I would like to share before ending this blog entry is one of the most memorable moments I experienced in regard to the community project. A couple of weeks after we had already left Mombasa I received an e-mail from Gideon, the person in charge of the administration. Attached to this e-mail was a perfectly comprehensive and transparent income statement that he had created with the accounting system that we left behind. This e-mail showed me how sustainable our work is and the difference we were able to make.

(written by Biko)


No comments:

Post a Comment