28 September 2013

Facing problems, solutions and education


Now, two months after my return from Kenya, I finally want to reflect about my time there and which impact it had to my life.

There are two major points that became obvious to me. The first point is facing problems and solutions. Now I am doing my internship in Berlin. It is an internship at an IT company and I have absolutely no clue about computers and technical devices in general. Perceived, the company launches a new product every week, so I have to fight with new technical terms every day. Usually, I would lose patience at one point and just do my work in a way that is hardly sufficient. It would be a real problem for me to constantly work on something unknown until I am able to understand the topic.

In Kenya I saw an obvious contrast how people face problems compared to Europeans. We, as Europeans, always have a problem. When the train is one minute late or the computer does not work the way how we want it to work, we directly have a serious problem. In Kenya I saw people who have real problems like that they do not know how to feed their children in the evening or that teachers have to teach children in classrooms without electricity and holes in the rooftop. Just imagine a teacher at Hanze who should teach a class without power point slides. It would directly be a major problem. In Kenya I never saw someone complaining. People seem to live according to the motto: „I do not have problems, I just have solutions!“.  This is something I want to keep in mind and I also want to live according to that motto. I already noticed some progress. My start in Berlin was also not easy. I left many of my friends in Groningen and I have never lived in such a big city before. So, always when I start complaining I remind myself that I only want to focus on solutions instead of problems from now on. I have to admit that this philosophy makes my daily life easier. Especially at work with technical devices.

The second point is very touching to me and showed me something about the importance of education. We visited the Blue Bell Nursery School together with Salim, a Rescue Diver from the Mombasa Fire Brigade. I was standing at the schoolyard looking at the buildings that were built how I built tree houses when I was 14. I was so impressed how the people managed to took their fate in their own hands and built such a school out of nothing. In Kenya it is not like in Europe that money will be spent to built schools. I heard from Condor representatives with how few resources they did it at Blue Bell, so my appreciation doubled.

While standing at the schoolyard a little boy came to me and just took my hand without saying anything. He was quite small, much smaller than the other children running around the schoolyard. He was maybe around 3 years old. From one second to another 20 children ran up to me, hugging me and trying to pull me down. I had a lot of fun, but I also got worried about the little boy who was holding my hand. The other children were way larger than him so I was afraid that they would hurt him by mistake. So I was looking around and could not see him and I tried to calm the other kids down, but if you start playing with a mob of Kenyan children, they will never stop. Then, I was looking down directly in front of me. The little boy was standing directly in front of me. Smiling. Laughing. And now holding BOTH of my hands. He was so small, but he managed to establish himself against all the other children who were way older and stronger than him.

This moment was very touching for me because I saw my own life in the eyes of this little boy. I was born in a slum of Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka. In the days after my birth my future was already clear. I would never have an education and a good job. It was not even clear if I would live for more than 10 years. I had the luck of getting adopted by a wonderful family who took care of me and gave me the chance of education. In this moment I realized how important schools like Blue Bell are in a country like Kenya, where many people even cannot read or write. I am sitting here right now and writing a blog about my experiences in Kenya. My voice was getting heard. Schools like Blue Bell give children, like the little boy who held my hand, the chance to start learning when they are very young. So Blue Bell gives the little boy the opportunity that his voice will be heard, too.

 (written by Brian)

No comments:

Post a Comment